It’s official, Vancouver: we’re in “pumpkin spice everything” season!
That means, in today’s blog, we here at Facial Expressions Skin Therapy are delving into the science behind the use of pumpkin in skincare, how we integrate pumpkin into our seasonal routines, and, of course, pumpkin benefits for glowing skin this Fall that you can reap from the comfort of your own home.
“Why is Pumpkin Good For Your Skin?” and Your Other Pumpkin-Related Questions, Answered
“Why is pumpkin good for your skin?” is one of the most frequently-fielded questions during the Fall season.
As a popular variety of squash, pumpkin is commonly thought of as a Halloween decoration and seasonal pie filling. However, its high and varied amounts of nutrition make it your skin’s secret weapon in achieving a long-term glow all autumn long.
Pumpkin is a powerhouse in skincare due to its:
- High concentration of vitamins C and E, both of which fight against free radical damage, dark spots, and hyperpigmentation
- Beta-carotene levels, which strive to mitigate oxidative stress and protects against future UV damage
- Powerful-yet-gentle vegetable enzymes, which naturally dissolve dead skin cells to reveal the fresh, glowing complexion beneath
- Significant antioxidant content, which removes impurities from the skin and reduces the severity of potential future breakouts
- Retinol-like capabilities, which promotes your skin’s natural cell turnover without the risk of irritation or dryness
On top of the aforementioned benefits of pumpkin enzymes, pumpkin is an excellent source of rich minerals (including copper and zinc.) This is particularly helpful for at-home pigmentation reversal due to the major role copper plays in melanin production. Melanin is a pigment that we all know too well can lead to hyperpigmentation. Pumpkin enzymes help fade brown spots left behind by acne and sun damage thanks to its natural copper and zinc reserves.
Thanks to its nutritional content, Pumpkin can help reduce inflammation and control the production of oil, which, in turn, helps those suffering from acne. Talk about an all-in-one ingredient powerhouse!
This Season, the Signature FX Facial Stars Pumpkin Enzymes
Start off pumpkin spice latte season the right way with our Signature FX Facial, which, throughout October, shifts to include pumpkin-centric ingredients and benefits. It smells as fantastic as it makes you look!
As a completely bespoke treatment (all the way from your initial consultation to the post-care recommendations we’ll send you home with), the Facial Expressions Skin Therapy skincare professionals hand-craft each Signature FX Facial to suit your skin’s specific needs and goals. With an option of our 60-minute, 75-minute, or 90-minute session, we pride ourselves on never delivering the same facial twice.
We add some spice (pun intended!) during autumn by integrating pumpkin into our signature facial. Used to support moisturizing, firming, and scar healing, we often pair pumpkin enzymes with warming spices for extra antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. The result is fresh, soothed, and plumped skin with minimized irritation.
Despite its myriad benefits, however, pumpkin is a client-favourite for one simple reason: it smells good enough to eat! If you try to sneak a taste of our cheesecake-esque pumpkin enzymes mid-facial, we won’t scold you… but you might be disappointed to find that, when mixed with our science-backed topical ingredients, it doesn’t taste as dreamy as it smells!
Enjoy the Skin Benefits of Pumpkin From Home
If you’re planning on being a homebody this autumn and curling up on your armchair with a pumpkin spice latte (or five), we would recommend pumpkin-based skincare that fit into the criteria below:
- Pumpkin seed oil due to being vitamin-rich and containing essential, skin-healthy fatty acids like omega 3s
- Pumpkin extract due to its hydrating qualities (all without the risk of adding excess oil to naturally oily skin types)
- Pumpkin fruit ferment filtrate due to its exfoliant capabilities and ability to naturally reduce pigmentation – but go easy on this one, too much exfoliation is a no-no
Enjoy the Benefits of Pumpkin Enzymes for Glowing Skin This Fall
Pumpkin’s myriad benefits, such as pigmentation reduction, oil control, texture-smoothing, and impurity removal should make it your go-to for home care and in-person treatments alike.
(Plus, what better way to complement your seasonal favourites like pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin-scented candles?)
Ready to jump feet-first into Fall? Book your seasonal Signature FX Facial today or contact us for more recommendations on how to start including pumpkin at home.